Academic Director [Internal Search]
Vice Pres., Research & Innov.
|Posted:||November 22, 2022|
|Deadline to Apply:||Friday, December 2, 2022|
The Office of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation (OVPRI) at Toronto Metropolitan University (TMU) invites applications from tenured faculty members at TMU for the position of Academic Director of the Toronto Metropolitan Centre for Immigration and Settlement (TMCIS) for a 5-year term effective January 1, 2023. The successful candidate will receive a combination of a stipend and course release during the effective period of the appointment.
TMCIS is a university-wide research centre where experts collaborate to support the transdisciplinary exploration of international migration, integration, diaspora, and refugee studies. Reporting to the Vice-President, Research and Innovation and with guidance from the Advisory Committee on the Centre’s policy-related matters, the Academic Director will provide leadership, vision and management of the Centre, including the development and supervision of research projects during the 5-year term, acting as the representative of the Centre and communicating with various stakeholders including academic colleagues, staff members, faculty, and Centre partners and collaborators.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Planning and operationalizing the Centre’s annual activities
- Providing annual written reports of the Centre’s year in review
- Supervising the work of a part-time staff member who assists with the daily running of the Centre
- Overseeing and coordinating submissions for three research publication series (Working Papers, Spotlight on Migration, and Research Briefs)
- Planning research workshops and knowledge dissemination events highlighting the migration-related work of Centre affiliates, partners, collaborators, and students—particularly with a focus on hosting regional, national, and international conferences
- Connecting the TMU immigration and settlement research community to local, regional, national, international networks and research opportunities
- Developing new partnerships to build an infrastructure for research, outreach, research funding, and knowledge mobilization
- Overseeing the hosting of visiting scholars and practitioners
- Exploring a sustainable funding strategy for ongoing TMCIS activities and administration
- Maintaining the Centre’s budget and developing budgets for ongoing and future activities
- Consolidating research expertise in migration, immigration, transnationalism, settlement, diaspora, and refugee studies from faculties across the University
- Supporting TMU faculty’s research programs through facilitating and consolidating tri-council and other funding applications
- Applying specialized knowledge to develop literature reviews and abstracts
- Supporting graduate programs (especially the MA in Immigration and Settlement Studies and the PhD in Policy Studies) through student placements and research assistantship opportunities.
The successful candidate shall be a tenured faculty at TMU by the appointment date and must be an active researcher with a thorough knowledge of and research expertise in intercultural and migration realities nationally and internationally; have comprehensive understanding of the administrative, academic, and governance structures and processes of the University; possess a solid understanding of the external environment for universities within the Province, Canada, and internationally.
How to Apply
Please send your application by e-mail to email@example.com with the subject line “Job Posting – TMCIS Academic Director” by December 02, 2022, 11:59 PM. Applications must include a CV and cover letter describing your interest in the position and your vision for TMCIS’s next five years.
Kindly note: The Hiring Committee will meet with the short-listed candidates during the weeks of December 12 and 19.
More information about the TMCIS
Visit the Centre’s website to learn more about TMCIS’ past and present research projects, colleagues, leaders, and students. Please check out @RC1S on Twitter, @rcis01 on YouTube, and visit our LinkedIn company page.
Faculty Job Postings