Associate Dean, FCAD,Cairo - Universities of Canada Egypt [UCE]
FCAD, Dean's Office
|Posted:||March 15, 2021|
|Deadline to Apply:||Posted until filled|
Associate Dean, FCAD,Cairo - Universities of Canada Egypt [UCE]
Internal and External Search
Located in downtown Toronto, the largest and most culturally diverse city in Canada and on the territory of the Anishinaabeg, Haudenosaunee and the Wendat Peoples, the Faculty of Communication & Design [FCAD] at Ryerson University invites applications for the position of Associate Dean, FCAD Cairo. The successful candidate will be appointed for a three year term commencing July 1, 2021.
In recognition of the under-representation of racialized and Indigenous persons in academic administrative roles, the Faculty especially welcomes applications from racialized and Indigenous persons.
The processes related to the recruitment and selection of the successful candidate are governed by the Policy and Procedures Relating to Search Committees and Appointments in the Academic Administration (the “AAA Policy”). Once in this position, the Associate Dean, UCE Partnerships shall be an “associate member” of the RFA in accordance with the RFA Collective Agreement.
Starting in September 2021, FCAD will expand its programming into the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) region with the launch of a satellite campus in Cairo, Egypt. Degree programming will include Media Production, Sport Media, and Fashion, with plans for additional offerings to launch in September 2022. Ryerson will oversee academic programming, course quality, admission decisions and promotions, as the Cairo campus programs will follow the same curriculum as those offered to students in Canada. Ryerson’s Cairo campus’ physical presence will be facilitated by Universities of Canada in Egypt [UCE].
The successful candidate for this position will be expected to reside in or near the New Administrative Capital City in Egypt for the duration of the appointment. In order to gain entry into and work from Egypt, the successful candidate will be required to meet all necessary requirements in accordance with the immigration regulations of Egypt.
Reporting directly to the Dean of the Faculty of Communication and Design, the Associate Dean, FCAD Cairo will: i) oversee and provide leadership, advice and support to the faculty, staff and students of the FCAD|UCE Campus in Egypt; ii) provide strategic coordination and collaboration dealing with accelerated outcomes related to a wide range of academic priorities involving curriculum development, hiring, and academic planning at the FCAD|UCE Campus; and iii) act as Vice Dean on site at the FCAD|UCE Campus, representing the Dean of FCAD. They will be responsible for all decanal oversight and academic leadership on campus, and will provide strategic leadership in the areas of:
- advice and counsel to the Dean and Dean’s Advisory Committee on matters related to the overall management of the FCAD|UCE Campus in Egypt;
- input into leadership and direction of academic priorities, policy development, and strategic planning;
- monitoring and supporting faculty management processes including faculty hiring procedures, performance review processes and probationary processes and procedures;
- leadership, counsel and advice to the Toronto Ryerson FCAD Chairs on a wide range of academic and administrative issues that relate to the FCAD|UCE Campus in Egypt, including: recommending academic priorities, dealing with curriculum and program changes, overseeing hiring and budget/resource allocations and providing general direction within the context of Ryerson policies at the FCAD|UCE Campus in Egypt;
- overseeing the presentation and promotion of all Faculty programs, offerings and projects, including recruitment processes and protocols;
- recommendation and coordination of initiatives that relate to strategic and academic planning for the FCAD|UCE Campus in Egypt, including first-year and direct entry admissions;
- overseeing and supporting the activities of the Director of Academic Operations, the Program Directors for each of the current and future FCAD Programs offered and the support staff that directly report to the Associate Dean, FCAD Cairo;
- developing partnerships both internally at Ryerson, UCE and UCE Campus Partners and externally with the Egyptian and MENA business community including committees and/or councils of relevant professional associations and related organizations; and
- representing FCAD|UCE Campus in Egypt and FCAD Ryerson Toronto in the external community by serving on committees and councils of relevant professional associations and related organizations.
The successful candidate must be a tenured faculty member, and must hold a terminal degree in one of the academic fields served by the Faculty or possess 10 or more years of experience at the Executive Level in a Creative Industries discipline. In addition, the candidate must present evidence of:
- competence in academic administrative activities, leadership and a strong commitment to the development and maintenance of high-quality educational programs;
- a deep commitment to academic values, curricular excellence, and to the continuation of strong community engagement through values-based partnerships and professional mentorships;
- leadership style and attributes that include being collaborative, collegial, a strong communicator, a strong advocate of equity, diversity and inclusion, and an engaging problem solver who is respectful and a good listener;
- an aptitude and commitment to a balance of experiential practice-based education as well as scholarship;
- experience in academic administration and/or the business sector and teaching at the undergraduate and graduate level;
- strategies in effective communication across cultures;
- superior organizational skills, as well as creative problem solving skills; verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal skills; leadership and management skills; research skills; budgeting and fiscal management skills; promotional and advocacy skills; and negotiation skills;
- experience working within a unionized environment, with knowledge of collective agreements and related legislation;
- knowledge of various fields within the creative industries, , related University programs and professional associations;
- knowledge of the post-secondary sector in Ontario and in Canada, and an understanding of Egyptian and MENA region and various accreditation bodies and requirements;
- a diversity statement, i.e. evidence of commitment to EDI that demonstrates an understanding of EDI principles and evidence of application of those EDI principles, or clearly defined plans of how EDI principles will be applied in research and teaching; and
- demonstrated commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) as it pertains to service, teaching, and research, including an understanding (either demonstrated or planned) to create an inclusive and accessible learning environment for a diverse student population.
- The ability to communicate in Arabic is desired but not necessary.
How to Apply
Applications, including a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and a statement of the candidate’s approach to equity, diversity and inclusion must be submitted fifteen days from the date of posting via the Faculty Recruitment Portal (click on “Start Application Process” to begin).
Indigenous candidates are welcome to contact Tracey King, Indigenous Human Resources Lead at email@example.com.
Black-identified candidates who wish to learn more about working at Ryerson University are welcome to contact Shurla Charles-Forbes, Black Faculty & Staff Community Network at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For any confidential accommodation needs in order to participate in the recruitment and selection process and/or inquiries regarding accessing the Faculty Recruitment Portal, please contact Alanna Neshevich [email@example.com], HR Advisor.
Confidential inquiries can be forwarded to Kerri MacDonald [firstname.lastname@example.org], Senior HR Partner.
Entering its eighth decade, FCAD is a global centre of media and creative invention. As a disrupter in innovative education, FCAD is dedicated to developing creators with authentic voices who engage directly with creative industries around the world. With renowned industry icons and visionary educators, FCAD is where students come to learn, transform and reimagine everything they thought was creative.
FCAD, amplified with partnerships around the world, offers more opportunities to educate the next generation of creative leaders than anywhere else. With 26 degree programs that are shaping the future of their fields, students enjoy a global experience in the heart of downtown Toronto to emerge as some of the most in demand and employable graduates anywhere. FCAD is Ryerson’s home of creativity – an internationally connected centre that empowers the next creative generation.
Nearly 6,000 students are enrolled in the Faculty's nine professional schools: Journalism, Image Arts, RTA School of Media, Performance, Fashion, Interior Design, Professional Communication, Graphic Communications Management, and Creative Industries. The Faculty is actively involved in graduate studies with Master’s programs in Film and Photography Preservation & Collections Management, Documentary Media, Fashion, Journalism, Media Production, and Professional Communication, as well as the joint York/Ryerson program in Communication and Culture.
Ryerson University welcomes those who have demonstrated a commitment to upholding the values of equity, diversity, and inclusion and will assist us to expand our capacity for diversity in the broadest sense. In addition, to correct the conditions of disadvantage in employment in Canada, we encourage applications from members of groups that have been historically disadvantaged and marginalized, including First Nations, Métis and Inuit peoples, Indigenous peoples of North America, Black-identified persons, other racialized persons, persons with disabilities, and those who identify as women and/or 2SLGBTQ+.
Faculty Job Postings